This recipe is courtesy of my book, The DIY Pantry.
Today's post is quick. 🙂
- wanting to avoid preservatives or undesirable ingredients in a particular brand of spices (yes, even spices sometimes have chemical preservatives!),
- wanting to be frugal, or
- it's Thanksgiving morning and you don't have time to run out to the store, so you're wanting to throw together your own homemade pumpkin pie spice,
you've come to the right place.
Homemade pumpkin pie spice is easy and – like anything homemade – it's fully customizable. Don't have allspice? Just skip it! Love cinnamon? Add a bit more.
This is how I've been making homemade pumpkin pie spice for years and it makes its way into pumpkin pie smoothies, pumpkin pie pancakes, pumpkin spice lattes… even sprinkled over our slow-cooker oatmeal (a pumpkin version, of course) so the flavor sinks into the oats as it cooks. Basically, it's yummy and it's easy to keep on hand.
Here's to enjoying the warm, autumnal flavors of fall and to all your pumpkin pie making adventures!Print
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
makes approximately 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg (fresh grated is best – yum!)
- 2 teaspoons allspice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Whisk everything together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.