This post may contain affiliate links, including those from Amazon.com, which means we earn a small commission off your purchases. And here's the thing: We only mention services and products that we think are truly worth your attention, whether they're free, paid, or otherwise. This site relies on YOUR trust, so if we don't stand behind a product 110%, it's not mentioned. Period.
If you make curries very often, I'm sure you've run across the spice blend called garam masala.
It's savory, sweet, and just a bit spicy – just right for a comforting curry.
However, both because I want to demystify what's in garam masala and because I want to show you how easy it is to make at home in case it's difficult to find a good quality source of garam masala where you live, today I'm posting our recipe for homemade garam masala.
Besides, it's easy, it's cheaper, and it takes less than five minutes, so like most spice blends, it's just plain smart to make your own! 🙂
Happy cooking and happy curries!
Homemade Garam Masala
- ¼ cup ground cumin
- ¼ cup ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Mix cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a bowl. Place mix in an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place.