This post may contain affiliate links, including those from Amazon.com, which means we earn a small commission off your purchases. And here's the thing: We only mention services and products that we think are truly worth your attention, whether they're free, paid, or otherwise. This site relies on YOUR trust, so if we don't stand behind a product 110%, it's not mentioned. Period.
I don't know what it is about egg salad, but there's something so deep-down satisfying about a good egg salad – particularly if it's an EASY egg salad recipe.
More calm, less chaos.
Use our step-by-step method to take charge of your life so you have time for what *really* matters.
Don't get me wrong – there are a ton of truly delicious egg salad recipes out there and I'm grateful that so many others have taken the time to perfect their own personalized spin on the basic egg salad. These dishes have broadened my culinary horizons in wonderful, flavorful ways. 🙂
But the only love affair I have with egg salad is the one I have with the classic, no-fuss, nothing-fancy recipe that highlights the flavor of the eggs *just right* and lets them shine.
And that's this recipe.
Obviously, you're welcome to dress it up and make your own variations as much as you like, but if you're looking for a classic, easy egg salad recipe that reminds you of the best egg salads you've had and transports you to the places you were when you ate them, then look no further. This is how you make classic egg salad.
- Here's the surprise secret to easy-peel hard-boiled eggs.
- Here's the simplest way to make hard-boiled eggs: make hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot!
- If you're looking for something else to do with your leftover hard-boiled eggs, check out our classic deviled eggs recipe.
Simple, Easy Egg Salad Recipe: The Classic Recipe
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ of a red onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced pickles OR pickle relish, sweet or dill, optional
- Mash the eggs: Peel the hard-boiled eggs and place them in a medium mixing bowl. Mash them with a fork until they're finely crumbled. If desired, slice the peeled eggs with an egg slicer before adding them to the bowl.
- Mix the salad: Add the mayonnaise, mustard, onion, celery, salt, pepper, and pickles, if using. Stir until the mixture is well-blended. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Chill: Chill the salad for at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve: Serve on bread, with crackers, or on top of lettuce, as desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.